Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Weeks

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. ~Winston Churchill

Play is the beginning of knowledge. ~George Dorsey

Normally, I like to begin these things with a quote, but today I found two quotes which address what is on my mind. The first, I think, is a pretty good summation of where we are right now. The first six days of school went by pretty quick. We talked about rules, schedules, more rules, goals, some rules, and just for fun, a couple of rules. Textbooks were distributed; seating charts arranged, but, alas, the beginning of school is over.

This, much like the end of school, can be a tough time to wrap one's head around. We are still learning each other's names, developing routines, and trying to find the proverbial "groove" while at the same time pressing forward as though we have done it all before. It is always tricky figuring out how to go from the mentality of the first day into the reality of the first assignment, but that is where the second quote comes in.

Tuesday afternoon, the faculty took a personality test, which identified each of us by one of four colors depending upon our responses to pictures, descriptions, and questions. In the end, I discovered what many people probably already knew about me: I am very, very orange. In fact, with a possible high score of forty-eight, I scored a forty-six for orange. What does this mean besides the fact that I have incredible school spirit? Well, according to the people who created the test, it means I like to have fun with just about everything I do. We were given some handouts that describe how people of our "colors" might behave as educators, students, parents, and children. I will give you look at what kind of a teacher someone as orange as I am tends to be:

-enjoys an acive classroom -seeks to energize students
-makes learning fun -expects student involvement and compliance
-uses competitive games and activities -unstructured discipline
-spontaneous, flexible presentations -hands-on, immediate applications
-uses a variety of action activities -strong use of innovative approaches
-learning linked to "here and now" -emphasis on immediate relevancy
-uses media

Now, I don't know how much some of these apply to me, but I do know that I want some of them to be true. I can tell you that I certainly enjoy an active classroom as long as the activity has purpose. I would love to think that I energize my students; I know they energize me. I hope to make learning fun. I have found that anything I have really been able to retain over the years was initially presented to me in a way that made me want to learn it, so I want to deliver that kind of instruction to my students.

I don't know how well I will achieve these things on a daily basis, but I feel like we are off to a fantastic start. I hope we can keep charging forward, together.

15 comments:

  1. i have heard of this queationair i think it is a very interesting thing for the teachers and students to do. i think this will help the teachers and students connect on a personal level. which sometimes is good. i do agree with what your questionair said about you i have gotten the vibe in class that you do like to be the fun teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes hello there mr. ogle. This is Jakob Shumaker from Creative Writing. I find your blogs to be quiet interesting and in your own words "MIND BOGGLING!". Anyway I would like to discuss with you a writing project I have been working on for two years. I would like your excellent opinion with no bull or sympathy behind it. I want your opinion. Anyway I want you to email me so that I can discuss the matter with you. My email is Schvartsvald@yahoo.com. Yes, hard to spell but sense you are what they call "AWESOME" I am sure you can remember how to spell it. Do not worry that it my business email. Not my personal. Yes. I am in the biz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah we did the same thing in Spanish. I was purple, for creative and artistic. Those are fun until you have to write a 75 word description about if it applies to you or not lol. You are a very energetic teacher btw. like how you dont even have to make a joke for macy to start laughing which leads to all the girls laughing in our class which would only exculed 2 people.
    - Lexie Fiscus 7th hour Creative Writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Ogle, I can definitely see you as an orange person. Now I think you really need to have an orange tan! Oh, and if you added your armor, shield, and sword with that tan, it would be a picture worthy of the Guiness Book of World Records for being the most orange, awesome teacher EVER! You could then be like the most famous person in the high school, and you would certainly surpass Mr. Meister when everyone starts following you on Twitter. Victory would be yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first week was SO not boring. There were so many emotions, and so many freshies getting lost, and kids were clinging to eachother for dear life through the hallways. It was really funny. :D Baha, at least we have you to turn to!! XD You can make us laugh!! :D Whoo!! Go Mr. Ogle!! :)

    -Zizi!! (7th Hour)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mr. Ogle I have never posted to a blog before. I am doing well in every class exept your creative writing class and I would like to change that but I need your help. I was hoping to stay after school sometime so you can help.

    ciao,

    Masten

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first week wasnt so boring.. just the rules you have to hear 8 times a day get boring. and, it doesnt surprise me you were the color orange for that personality thingy-ma-bob.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first week this year went by much easier than it did as a freshman last year. I already know many of the teachers, and I haven't gotten lost as many times this year...yet.
    nic chittick

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think it's true. i've yet to fine my groove and it is the end of 1st quarter. i don't know if football has anything to do with it but i think i may be close to getting it. i've struggled so much this year and i'm going to keep struggling if it's the last thing i do!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I think orange is the color for you because it descripes you well. Your class is fun, and would be more fun if people in my class, (aka 7th hour) wouldn't make you as mad....i guess on the bright side, my class is the last class you have to deal with :) Hopefully people will learn after the little conversation you had with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are doing most of those things pretty well. You do energize the you do make the learning fun,we do use some activities,and pretty much everything else on that list. So I do think you do do a pretty good job in this area so far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. in the begging of the school year i was nervous. i didn't know what to do or where to go. i was meeting new people and it was fun. I suprised myself i didnt get lost at all in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know i wasnt hereat the beging of the year and everyting but i know that your working really hard to achive your goal. To let you know you are on of the best English teacher ive ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ive only been here for a short amount of time. but i do look forward to coming here just for your class. i enjoy it. and i cant really say that about any of my others. but anyway about it i can definatly see you as orange. haha thats a pretty awesome color :). i liked granite city alot too. thogh i cant say as much for my english calss there. i always felt like the teacher hated my class the most. i dont know maybe it was just me.

    -Kelsi Vlahos 5th hour

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first week was surprising, interesting, and at the same time weird. I was ok after I figured out that I would have to carry my backpack around in b/w classes, but when the fresh/soph bathroom had to be closed because it was getting smoked out made me a little skeptical. For one I had to use the senior's now, which was a pain considering that that would make me late for classes, and two that some people here are stupid enough to smoke at school. But now nearing the first semester, we(the new kids) have just kind of got used to it and ignored it like we've been doing it since 1st grade. I think this is what highschool's suppose to be like. Right?
    -Jacob Whitacre 5th Hour

    ReplyDelete