Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Buzzer Beaters

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

-Albert Einstein



I know Einstein was a genius and everything, but I think he missed on this one. It is a fact that time exists, but this year it feels like everything is happening at once. I feel like we just went over syllabi yesterday, yet here we are in the closing seconds of the first quarter. It seems like I am assigning work and then collecting it three weeks later with the feeling that no time had even passed since I assigned it. If that is how I feel, I can only imagine how you all must feel.



I see the look on students' faces when they realize that the mad dash we have all just survived has left them with grades they simply don't want to take home to mom and dad. For these students, I have a couple of pieces of advice.



The first is to let this be a lesson. In the fast-paced world of high school, and even moreso in the faster-paced world of the workplace, allowing yourself to get off-track or behind by losing track of your goals and priorities can have far-reaching effects. Sure, we all want to take time now and again to just relax and not worry about the things in our life that bring us stress, but the difference between those who succeed and those who just show up is that successful people put that relaxation time after their work. They realize that doing what you want to do is far more enjoyable and, frankly, possible once you have done what you need to do.



I hear a lot of people say, "You are only young once, so you might as well enjoy it." They use this as an excuse to blow off school work and other responsibilities, choosing instead to spend time pursuing unproductive leisure activities. These people rarely become successful because their way of prioritizing and viewing the world doesn't match up with what it takes to be successful. I think a better motto would be, "You are only young once, so make the most of it." Whether people realize it or not, what we do and who we decide to be when we are young sets the tone for our entire life. Sure, there are people who make big changes and turn their lives around, but many times those changes are cosmetic. Who they really are, the things that drive them, change very little. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have any fun while you are young, but if you have too much fun when you are young, you might squander away your chance at a fun and fulfilling adult life, which is a much larger portion of your life.

The other advice I would give to those who find themselves with grades below what they would want: Fight like heck until the final buzzer. You still have a couple of days before grades are final. Make sure you earn every point possible. Your teachers don't accept late work? Fine. You can't change the past, so just make sure tomorrow's assignment is done, and done right. If teachers offer extra credit, make sure you get it. Disclaimer: Most teachers hate it when students who have slacked all quarter come to them in the last few days begging for extra credit, so this only works when teachers (like me) have already stated that extra credit is available. If there is nothing you can do to salvage this grade, start concentrating on second quarter. Remember, semester grades are a combination of your quarter grades and your exam grade, so if you can excel over the next couple of months, this quarter's letter grade will never really matter.

The clock is running out. How bad do you want it?

14 comments:

  1. Nice post Mr. Ogle! I like your sage advice. I agree that the habits formed now will follow you the rest of your life. Habits are hard to break! So make all your habits good ones! As for only having fun when your work is done, why not try to find work that is fun, or better yet a passion. Then everyday at work is what you really want to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you are saying is exactly what I tell them over and over in class. Whether we like it or not, we will usually work 40-45 years, on average, before we are able to retire. They have a choice, as high school students, on how to spend the time between now and retirement. They can go wild and have a good time now, and then find themselves going to work everyday at a job they don't like and don't make much money for doing for nearly half a century, OR they can buckle down for less than a decade to ensure they spend that huge chunk of time later doing something they enjoy. Confucius said, "Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life." I think he was on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really good blog. I hate it when people say that they don't try hard in school because they're just enjoying themselves when they're young! That is not an excuse and won't get them far in life. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a teacher with a student who doesn't try or apply themselves and then just expects you to give them extra credit to fix the mistakes they have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with jakie 100%. people need to stop making excuses and just do the work. i don't know how many times i've heard someone comlpain about a school project when if they just do they would be done. you people (and you know who you are) need to bukle down, grit your teeth, and go for it!!!qsxzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is true that people do that with school. but if your a person like me you dont go running to the teacher to get extra credit. you just take what you get and make the best of it.

    This is sean kachmar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Mr.Ogle! I work my butt off trying to meet all these deadlines at school, but I know I have to get things done. Honestly I have no time to just work on things last minutes, and it drives me nuts! I like the feeling of getting things accomplished way ahead of time that way I don't feel as rushed or stressed when the due date is near.

    -Nikki McMullen

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do agree time has been going by very fast but at the same time when you look at it everyday it goes by a little slow. i think i have gotten " senioritis" a little fast this year. it seems like a worry about my grades but im just ready to get out. so day by day goes slow but actually it is going by quit fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember in sixth grade one of my teachers at Crestwood had us make a timeline to show how much more time you have to enjoy life,or be miserable, depending on how hard you work in school.
    nic chittick

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that it is very odd how fast this year is going by. Yes, I think that you should enjoy being young, but if you do not work hard in school, it may make it harder to enjoy life when you are older.
    nic chittick

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with this i hate it when people dont try hard in school and then wait the last minute to get a good grade! I try not to do this i like getting good grades! i do admit that i have gotten senioritis pretty quickly this year but im trying to hang in there and make it through just 3 more quarters to go

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with alot of the things you said in this post, like time really is flying right now. I also agree that we do need to have fun when we are young,but have come to realize now is the time to shine. You can't keep delaying work just because you want to have fun when you are young. I say this because if you delay you will never get the things you want done and the final horn will eventually creep up on you and go off, and you're future could be over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is true Mr Ogle that if you spend too much time on fun then you have a non successful future but you have to balance the work and fun. If you have too much fun then you don't have a successful future but you can't be all work and no play because that could lead to unpredictable psychological problems as an adult because as a child you have to express your childhood because you can't when your an adult and eventually all that work will build up your stress level over the years and eventually cause a midlife crisis or worse, a psychotic breakdown or SUICIDE.

    Kevin Dalia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I somewhat agree on this. The quote is in my opinion an extremely good one. The world revolves around time. Without it, everything would happen at once. But I do agree with you on your advice. Whenever my friends ask me what to do about their grade, I tell them exactly what you said...do all the extra credit you can get and make-up for it next quarter!
    -Jacob Whitacre 5th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many people do not see the end product. By working hard today, you then create a better and easier path to success. You also set the example for younger siblings and classmates. They look up to older students who have done what they are trying to do. That is why we should set the example now.

    ReplyDelete