Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Gearing Up!

My last post was about the last day of school. I feel like I just wrote it a few days ago, and yet here I am contemplating the first day of school. I remember being a kid and summer vacations were a seemingly endless occasion for fun and adventure. Now, as an adult, it is just a matter of weeks. I guess that is what happens when we start seeing the world in terms of paydays, mortgage payments, appointments, etc. Everything seems to move faster. When we are kids, we have no real concept of time. It could go on forever or not exist at all, and we wouldn't know the difference. We are amazingly short-sighted as children. I see it in my own kids. If they take a thirty-minute nap, they wake up convinced it is the next day. They refer to something they did two months ago as if it just happened that very morning. I think the reason we feel like time is speeding up as we age is simply because we become more and more aware of it. Whatever the reason, this summer has flown.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a great summer. My wife had our third child only a few weeks into summer break, so her maternity leave has meant that we have spent a majority of the summer break as a complete family with no interruptions for work or other obligations. I've had countless fun times with my two older children going swimming and to ballgames. I'm not sulking about heading back to work in a few weeks or anything like that. If fact, the opposite is true. I stopped by the high school last week and spent a little time in my room. I left feeling excited about the new year. I am looking forward to August rolling around and getting to spend more time in my room getting prepared. I'm looking forward to seeing my students again, and I'm looking forward to the thrill I get when I see them learn and grow.

Sure, summer is almost over, but that doesn't mean the fun is over; it just means it is time for a different kind of fun to begin.

15 comments:

  1. Mr. Ogle- I really liked your post. It was interesting; Haa.- When did your wife have her baby? Was it a boy or a girl? My older sister McKenzee just had a baby boy name Adenn a few weeks into the Summer. I think school starting sucks literaly; Butt- I'm having a good year so far :)
    -Maddie Johnson. 5th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ogle, I am definately not ready to be an adult and have my time fly by. I hate that I am already thinking about going to college and where I would like to go. It feels like we should still be lounging around in the season of summer. School has not strated out so well for me this year but I am hoping it will get better.

    Kel-c Fuqua 2nd Hour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Ogle, I also had a great summer! I'm just glad that mine didn't fly by like yours did, summer doesn't seem like a much fun when you get older. Also, when was your third child born?
    -I remember seeing you taking your son to the boys' basketball practices last year. He's such a cutie. :)

    Ashlee Sinclair 2nd hour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Ogle i know how fast the summer has flown. All summer i was swimming or being with my friends and the time just passed like the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is an interesting post and it's crazy to think 1st quarter is almost over. It seemed like yesterday was 8th grade graduation. But im enjoying the highschool expeirence and how different everything is. To think in four years i will be in college blows my mind. I am deffinently not looking foreward to life as an adult, and all the responsibilities that come with it. So, i think i will enjoy these 4 years and make them last as long as possible.
    Jordan Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Ogle- I liked this post. As i was reading it, it made me think of my summer, and how my friends and I always talked about things that happened months ago like they happened that morning. Also as i read this it made me realize that i'm so not ready to grow up and have my summer fly by. I'm thinking about colege right now and it kinda scares me, I don't wanna leave my family. But other than that you class is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your quote at the end. It is really a true statement. School may not be the kind of fun that you have while swimming or going crusing around with your friends. But you have all the basketball games, football games, and other school events to have fun at.

    Aleah Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great you had a awesome summer Mr. Ogle. I'm glad to hear that. I will be honest I was scared of having you for Creative Writing. I've heard you were mean and you had hard assignments. I know that's not true now. You always can't believe what you hear. Now that i've had you for this semester I don't think your like this at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a very amazing summer even though it seemed to last about two weeks. This summer was very busy, but I found time to relax. Each day ended sooner which seems sad. To me this means you get to experience another day that much faster. I honestly don't mind school. You get to see your friends and go to all the events you want. Highschool is a lot of work. You just have to make the most of it and remind yourself you things could be a lot worse.
    -Logan McDaniel
    6th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a great summer. There's nothing like just hanging with friends watching a game, or playing a little pick-up basketball. I always look foward to school though, because all your friends are there and you may even meet new ones. Another reason I look foward to school is football season. You only get four years to play under the lights and you have got to make the most of it.

    Xavier Holt, 6th Hour, English II

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer was great for me. I get what you are saying about starting a new kind of fun. Late summer nights with your friends is one of the greatest feelings in the world. You may not get to see all of your friends though! I am always excited to get back to school because I get to see my old friends that I haven't seen for a while. There isn't a football season in the summer! Being able to start football again and go to the games is also exciting. There are different kinds of fun, and I try to make the best of every day! Even if it is school season.
    - Cassie Kemper, 3rd Hour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like summer flies by and it should go by slowing. My senior year crept up on me and it doesnt even feel like i should be a senior already. But i'm glad i am graduating this year.
    Oakley Haddix

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm excited for school to be out, summer to begin and then to quickly get over with because then i will be starting a new chapter in my life. I will be heading off to college. It scares me a little but at the same time i'm ready for all that it has to offer me.

    ReplyDelete