Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why Not Try?

It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do.
-John Baptiste Moliére

Responsibility is a funny thing. We all like to consider ourselves responsible and then site all of the things we do which shine as examples of our responsibility. However, we all keep a dirty little secret. From time to time, we all are guilty of only being responsible for the things we want to be repsonsible for. Unfortunately, the things we want to be responsible for aren't the only things which need to be accounted for.

As I was driving home yesterday, I was listening to talk radio as I have become prone to do on long drives, and a story came across about two schools not far from here (which will remain anonymous for the sake of this discussion) that had not done as well as they had hoped on their standardized tests. Now, this should come as no suprise considering many schools are struggling to keep pace with an ever-rising bar for performance. The thing that caught me off-guard is how blatantly school officials blamed the impact of scoring by Special Education students.

Although I am early in my career as an educator, I have come to the conclusion that this reasoning is merely scapegoating. I have seen too many students express the view that the standardized tests by which schools are evaluated are "stupid" or "no big deal". Unfortunately, this is not the case. These tests are neither stupid nor a small deal. It is a shame that students do not take the opportunity to score well and allow their teachers and administrators to be recognized for all of their hard work. Now, I am not saying that all students blow these tests off, and I have been impressed with the efficacy of the incentives here at PHS, but I have also seen the attitudes toward school work that lead me to believe that even the students who are trying on the tests could score better if their attitude toward school were better.

I have been saddened by the number of instances where school work has come second (or lower) to athletics, clubs, jobs, or recreation. Don't get me wrong, I am coaching two sports this year and was involved in a number of extracurricular activities while in high school, but it seems like more and more, the purpose for attending high school is being diluted by all of the extras. It is tragic that none among us can envision a student ditching sports practice to write a big paper or passing up the chance to go out with friends to study for a test; on the other hand, we witness students failing tests or not turning in assignments because they had practice, or a game, or a dance to attend.

I do not know what the solution is to what I see as an upside-down priority list, especially since we, as a culture, put so much emphasis on the extras ourselves. I guess that I would really like to see what you all have to say about this. Why do you embrace the responsibility of a new car, being a member of an extracurricular activity, or a part-time job while shunning the responsibility to yourself to achieve an education?

Let this be the first post in which your comments are a continuation of the topic I present, and hopefully going forward we will see that is a much more fruitful activity.

16 comments:

  1. I believe that the school is focused more on winning a game then having students studying for test. Our school is really bad at that. Yes some teachers help us get ready for a test but then its straight to asking "How was the game?" I dont get how a game or a dance could be more important to students then getting and education. I mean im not perfect at school ive dropped out, but then i came back because i dont want to be working at a factory for the rest of my life. Most of the students at PHS wont make anything of their lives because they want to hang out with their friends or they have to practice, and thats really sad. Parents are also guilty for letting their childs sports get in the way of their homework. They should make them do their homework and see that is it done before letting them play in a sport, but thats just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that alot of people want to be in extracirricular activities but if they miss a practice or something then they wont be able to play in the next game or the next couple of games. and there fore they wont miss practice and then have a hard time doin their homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This school is really bad about putting sports before education. some of the teachers are the same and show favoritism towards students in sports. like last year when a football player copied parts of one of my test but the teacher told him since he did good in the game on friday that he gave him bonus points while i failed

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right that we should all be more concered on schooling than on sports and activites. You as a teacher may not understand how the coaches that arent teachers coach. You are required to be at every practice no matter what you have the next day. Maybe your coaching is different, but in the sports that I play attendance is allways madatory. Students should be responsible and get their homework and studying done before they go to activites and games. Spirt is one important thing for shcools sports, you either be there or be square. Maybe we should all confront our coaches and sponsers that are not teachers and talk to them about being to tough on their players when schooling is at stake. We also have the inelegable rule at our school that helps in keeping our students more responsible with their school work. Maybe tougher inelibitlity rules should be applied in our school rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree w/ your blog. Schoolwork always seems to come second to anyhting else, not just sports either. Sure playing sports can be a fun and rewarding experience, but they are more than likely not going to lead you anywhere in life. Desiree is right though, practices are mandatory reguardless of what you have to do. I agree with her maybe there should be a meeting to talk to coaches who are not teachers and make them realize that those star players are not passing classes because they are too worried about sports and what-not. I love playing sports, but I have also came to realize that sports are not going to help me achieve my dream after high school. Sports may help you get to college but what are you going to do when you get there??. I just think that school should be put before any extracirricular activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that it is kind of sad that schools are focused more on activities and sports for the most part than on school work. I honestly think that school work and passing should come before anything. I'm not the greatest student but I'm trying the hardest I can to do my best. Some students at PHS don't really care at all. There are so many that drop out for the most stupid reasons. Friends and other things shouldn't come before school. I've had times where I blew off my work to hang out or do something else. I shouldn't have because of the situation I'm in now. My own opinion is just mine though. But I still think that people should at least try. Parents should help too. If their kid is in a sport I think they should make them do their homework or anything else they have to do before they practice or play. Coaches should know that their players also have to do good in school. Most teams kick you off if you're failing. So why do they make things mandatory? That's what I don't understand. If people worked a little harder with each other there might be changes.

    Bri Coonce
    3rd Hour

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with desi.I am not ganna lie, there are teachers in this school that show favoritism to athlets, and i don't think its right. I like doing sports and extra activities but when it comes down to it, i care more about my grades then sports. I know i wont make it anywhere big in sports ex; NFL, NBA. Thats a given. Grades will get you more places then athletics will. I am ganna try to be an Anesthesiologist and that requires around thirteen years of school when its all said and done. I think that teachers should be more strict on athletes when it comes to grading. Thats my opinion because their are athletes in this school that schouldn't be able to play sports due to their grades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Mr. Ogle! More students should study for tests and complete homework before going to practices or games. I am a cheerleader, I have a job, and I keep my grades up! Most of the time I am very proud of myself. I am still one of those students who would probably go to cheer practice before staying home to write an essay. That doesn't mean I wouldn't get it done though. it just means more work for me. However, I am a strong believer of education first and more students should think that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this blog totally. Students should put school and homework before sports, which is possible. I am a cheerleader and i put school before cheerleading even though alot of my time is spent practicing,but i do find time for homework and to study for all the texts I have to study for. We have to remember that most of the students here at PHS arent going anywhere in life in the sports they like to play. Having a good GPA will get you farther in life by helping you get into a good college and help in your future career.


    Shaunah
    6th hour=]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Ogle,
    I think you hit home on some of this blog. Students do think that they don't need to worry how they score on these tests cause it isn't a 'normal test' you could say. Then you have the students who are really concerned on how they do because of going on to college.
    Also homework comes second to most kids in sports, friends etc. You have different types of kids, those who don't have to study then get terrific grades, those who study and then pass and then you have those who study and then still can't make passing grades no matter how hard they study.
    If all kids would consider taking time for these tests and doing good they would know it would reflect on our school as having teachers who teach and students who listen. Then the communities would know we are a school of learning and of good sports.

    ReplyDelete
  11. true very true. kids do tend to blow off planned tests because all we do is test. yes we will get teested out there in the real world without a doubt but sometimes you just get burnt out on testing. i carry a part time job,pay for my car,and pay my bills. if i worked as hard as i did outside of school as i did inside of school, i could be a gaurenteed straight A student with out a doubt but i've also been in school for going on 12 years so sometimes summer break just ain't enough

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right in the fact that school should come before sports. Still though many kids say I am just going to school to play sports and that is all that I care about. I myself am an athlete and yet I still get all of my assignments done and get all of the work on the days that I miss. Schools are now more focused on winning titles in sports than educating their students.
    Aaron Alexander
    3rd Hour

    ReplyDelete
  13. this blog really explains me most i dont really have a good attitude towards school i never have i always thought that it wasnt a big deal same thing for the test i never thought that i would ever need to know thses things in my own future but i am still wrong we all need to score well on all or are test to show that we have learnd such a great deal of knowledge from our teachers and parents. i think i need to quiet worrieing about the sports and being cool in life and buckle down and get an education.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog explains alot and explains me because i blow off alot of homework and what not to hang out with my friends i would reather do anything eles then homework but i am apllying myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that if you are an athlete than you have more of a reason to do better in school because if you are failing one or more classes than you can't do the sport that you want and one it is embarrassing and two you really want to play the sport. I do not think that teachers or administration at this school to put extracirriculur activities, they encourage school spirit at the end of the day when school is practically over. I also believe that the kids who aren't in sports are much more careless about school because they have no reason to want to do good in school. Beside all of this I think that everyone should try hard in school because even though sports are fun right now chances are likely that yoou're not going to get paid to do play football or basketball, so you should try harder in school so that one day you can provide good things for your kids and family.

    ReplyDelete