Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bow Before the Altar of Semester Exams!

"As long there are tests, there will be prayer in schools."

I don't know who said this, but it is funny only as long as it is true. Now, I will admit that I have done my fair share of praying before a big test, but I have never felt the need to ask for help from above when I walked into the test knowing I was prepared.

As a student, the worst feeling in the world is looking at the first page of a test and realizing that you did not study enough. I remember taking a midterm exam in a poetry class in college. I don't remember how or why I was so unprepared for this test; I only remember sitting there for over an hour fumbling through this monstrousity and feeling like I was drowning. As painful as the experience was for me, I learned a valuable lesson: The pain of really preparing for a test is far less than the pain of taking a test for which you have not prepared.

When the final exam for that class rolled around, I spent two days prior to the test doing nothing but living, drinking, and eating poetry. I had done the math, and my grade was such that getting an A on the test would not bump me up from a B to an A in the class, and all I had to do was not fail the test in order to keep from dropping to a C, but that was not important to me. Proving to myself that the content of this class was not more than I could handle was the only thing that mattered to me. I wanted to crush this test just to prove that I belonged in the class.

I realized early in my college career that judging my value or intelligence based on a series of five letters was about the most useless and destructive thing I could do. I have seen brilliant students get C's because of circumstances outside of their control and complete baffoons get A's because they are really good at "school". What really mattered to me was whether or not I got what I needed or wanted out of every class. Don't get me wrong, good grades can open a lot of doors, but do not make the mistake of thinking that getting less than perfect grades closes all doors. You may just have to find a window here or there.

What is the point of all this babbling? The point is that many of you either need or deserve to do well on the semester exams next week. However, I can tell you that needs, wants, and aspirations will not translate into a good grade. The only way to ensure that you do well on the semester exam is to pull out the material from the semester and make sure you know it forward and backward. It will be painful, but not nearly as painful as taking the class again next year.

Now, since you need to be studying instead of reading my musings, I will leave you with a final morsel for thought. After you finish your tests next week, you have sixteen days straight in which to recover. All you have to do is push yourself for seven days, and then you get to rest. Why does that sound familiar? Anyway, you all can do it. I know you can, or I wouldn't waste my time trying to help you do it.

GOOD LUCK!

*Author's Note: I totally owned that poetry final --I think I got one of the highest test scores in the class. I still got a B for the course.*

15 comments:

  1. i hate finals. alot. they suck, but thats only because they take so long. i usually know all of the things but i just dont like tests. i never study beacuse i already know all that i need to know and i still get grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unlike thad who says he dosent have to prepare for this finals because he "THINKS" he knows everything he needs to get a good grade i start studing earlier as a matter of fact im taking a break from studing to respond to this blog. unlike most tests i actially try hard on my finals. i usally just do what i can and get a B or C but on finals i do the best i can, but i think ive figured out that just doing good on tests and not doing homework isnt goin to cut it any more. so ive been tryin harder and studyin alot more than i ever even thought of doing!!! i found out it isnt hard to do homework, it just takes time. studing is just like basketball or football practice, its the only way for you to get better so thats why i study alot for finals. "unlike thad who is to smart to study"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate finals!!! All they do to me is stress me out! But anyways, I have been preparing for finals for about a week now, yet I still don`t feel prepared enough!! They is so much information to cover in little time! Lets just say i`m pretty nervous and stressed about finals but am ssooo ready to get them over with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. finals do suck and it alot of students are not book smart. i'm deffinately not book smart. i learn best through being able to feel it even though you get to feel the book all you want it doesn't help a tactile learner. but most teachers won't fail you if you put forth a really good effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely HATE finals. I think that they are the worst thing ever created by god. Even though I hate them I still try and study as hard as I can so that I can get a good grade, or atleast the best grade that I can so that I can pass and hopefully not have to re-take that class! But the finals that I am most worried about are English, History, Math and Science.. I definitely think that those are going to be the hardest ones! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree and understand that that needs, wants, and aspirations will not translate into a good grade you need to study, learn what you can, and ask your teachers for help when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really hate finals- talk about stress! who ever thought of pounding exams over all the material learned in a semester, your flippen nuts! haa- but i agree, the real way to get a good grade on your final is to study. I always wait until last minute to start studying but this year ive actually been trying..=) some teachers are letting us usee "cheat sheets" thank gosh- or in some cases i would have No chance in the world,,

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are definately right when you said that the worst part of test is looking at it and having no idea. That has happened to me plenty of times. Or studying a study guide and then nearly none of that stuff is on the test. There are also those days that for some reason your brain just wants to take a day off and none of the questions seem to click.

    ReplyDelete
  9. School has never been as easy for me than it was for thad! I actually have to study to get a decent grade. I agree with Mr. Ogle, even if i get a 100 precent on the final exam and it wont bring up my letter grade for the semester, i still find it important to get a good grade and prove to myself that i can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there anyone who likes finals? We take them, but do they actually help(hurt) our grade? In 90 minutes, we answer questions and some of those questions are from the beginning of the school year. Students who do well get exempt from all of them and plus if you get perfect attendance you are exempted from 1 final, so if they can exempt some from finals then why are finals necessary? I feel we are not given enough review time but then there are those no matter how much time they are given they still wouldn't study. I believe students with learning disabilities are at a disadvantage. How are the test adapted for those students? I think the whole final exam portion needs rexamined itself. Yes-I hate finals-never improves my grades!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not like finals at all. They are usually hard and it is hard to remember everything that you have learned for half a year. I have to study a lot and maybe even have a study guide or a paper to write notes down on to get a good grade on the finals. There is way too much information for me to remember. I try really hard to do my best but usually it is really hard for me. My hard finals i think are going to be math and history for sure. The others I am not so worried about because i think that i know them pretty good.

    Whitney
    6th hour

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well finals are getting to be quite harder and easier each and every year. I'm not sure about your final tomorrow but i need to try and i need to pass because honastely i don't feel like taking your class next year. I have started realizing that people that i see as juniors are taking sophmore classes and as freshmen, sophmores don't really take much freshmen classes. once in a while we all need to just study it over and over again. most of the time just sitting their looking and reading through your notes really does not help, but the fact that some of the teachers are letting us use notes whether it's a little notecard to 2 or 3 pages of notes it still helps alot and i thank thy for that. still i need to get this final passed or i'm basically screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finals weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. I think teachers were nice and took it easier on us because of Christmas break. It made me mad that we still had them because kids, like me, forgot alot of stuff and didn't study, which I will admit is my fault. I still do not think that the administration should've had exams because it only made the schools grades look even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. finals were ok but i have no idea how i did and i know that i didnt do good because to tell you the truth im not that bright and i study but i never seem to remember anything im good at worksheats (i think i spelled that wrong) its like i remember everything until i get the paper infrount of me and then BAMMM its all gone and i was wondering if you could help me this semmester with my work im asking all my other teachers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually i have a really easy time with finals. i am a very good test taker, but sometimes it does not hurt to ask for help from a higher power. Before every final i tend to say a little prayer to not let me fail or to not let me forget the information i have obtained.

    ReplyDelete