Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Another Hero...Lost

Death Be Not Proud
by John Donne(1572-1631)
Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.

A little over two weeks ago, I was eating dinner when my phone rang. It was my mother calling to tell me that she had just heard a friend of mine from high school, a guy I played baseball with for three incredible seasons, a guy whose wife was in my graduating class and an even closer friend to me, a guy whose brother had served with me in the National Guard for about five years in both Bulgaria and Iraq, a guy with four small children and a legacy of always doing his best to help those around him had died. Now, I had not really kept in touch with this guy very much after high school. We had both gone our separate ways, meeting occasionally here and there and catching up as best we could. He married his high school sweetheart, and I had immediately gone off to conquer the world. Nonetheless, the news of his death in Afghanistan rocked me. I didn't know what to say or how to respond. I only knew that it was tragic, and that it would stick with me forever.

I remember clearly the last two times I ran into Jared Southworth. The first was at the armory in Mattoon shortly before I left for Iraq. I was working there full-time getting ready for our deployment, and Jared had just entered the Guard as a cadet with the Eastern Illinois University ROTC program. It seemed fitting to me, seeing Jared in his uniform, showing off all the high-speed equipment he had bought to compliment his basic issue. He had always seemed destined to be a soldier. There was always just something about the way he talked about the military when we were playing ball together. I remember thinking, when his brother enlisted, that it was weird seeing Michael in uniform but not Jared. Little did I know that he was slowly making his way. He just had a little different plan in mind. From hearing the stories of those who served with him after he was commissioned as an officer, I know that Jared's path was the one most suited for him. While he would have made a tremendous enlisted soldier, he was an even better officer. I regret that I never served under his command. It would have truly been an honor.

The second, and last, time I saw Jared was some months after I had returned from Iraq. I was eating lunch with my grandmother in Charleston, and he came in with his wife and kids. Jared was a crazy guy in high school, always cracking jokes, and seldom seeming to take anything seriously, but seeing him as an amazingly loving and attentive father showed me an entirely different side of the man. I guess that was just it; he was no longer the teenage boy I had known, but a man who earned the respect of someone the minute he met them. While I am saddened that I did not keep in touch with he and his wife after we all left high school, I am eternally thankful that I was able to see him like this, because it is an image that will forever be etched in my memory.

In the weeks since I received the news of his untimely death, I have been at a loss for words to express my feelings about it. At the visitation, when I hugged his widow, the girl I had known so well nearly a decade ago, who had since become as strong a woman as any of us would have imagined back then, all I could manage to say was, "I'm so sorry." There was nothing else I could say, nothing else seemed adequate or appropriate, because I felt nothing else; only sorrow that she should have to endure this tremendous loss at such a young age.

It wasn't until I found myself sitting in the packed gym at Oakland High School during the funeral that I began to find words for what I was feeling in my heart. Yet, even then, the words were not my own. The words were from the opening line of a poem by John Donne, which I had read in some literature class in college. I couldn't remember the entire poem, only those first four words: "Death be not proud". I am not sure why, out of the vaulted recesses of my often scrambled memory, this poem sprang to my consciousness like a lightning bolt. I began thinking of all the circumstances and events that can lead to a person's death, and it seemed to me that in this case, death was indeed proud. What more noble or purposeful death could one offer than to die for one's country in service of his countrymen and those in faraway lands hoping desperately for freedom from violence and oppression? I remembered sitting at a training range in basic training, listening to my drill sergeant read the citation for the Medal of Honor awarded to the man whose name had been given to the range as a sign of honor. I no longer remember the heroic deeds of that long-dead soldier, but I clearly remember my drill sergeant looking at us with the most serious expression I had ever seen and saying, "That's how I want to go... in battle." Jared was just that kind of warrior. As much as I know he loved his family, I can't help but think that had he known what was going to happen, he wouldn't have changed a thing. I can't help but think that to Jared, death could be proud. Maybe I am just thinking all of this as a way of softening the blow, but maybe that doesn't matter.

Since the funeral, I have kept running those four words over and over in mind. Today, when I came home from work, I found the poem and began to read it once, twice, three times. I found that there is more in it for me than what I had first thought. It reminded me that death will eventually come to all of us; it will not be avoided, ignored, or forgotten. It will always be present, possibly waiting around the next corner. The last lines of the poem, however, leave a smile on my face because I learned at the funeral that Jared had become strong in his faith. I learned that he regularly attended church, read his bible every day, and even sang church songs to his children before bed. In the last lines, Donne says, "wee wake eternally,/ And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die." I am confident that Jared has awoken to an eternity of life without death. He will look down and see his children grow, learning of the hero that is their father, and he will smile.

20 comments:

  1. First off that was really long ,but I liked it. It did remind me that death could be around the corner for any of us and they we can't ignore. I as well would rather die for a purpose like fighting for our country than any other way ,becasuae when you die at least you die with honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that death could be just around the corner. i believe that it is means to live your life too the fullest and not hold back. this was long and sad but i couldn't quit reading it! it also may me jump to reality and realize that my brother will be going over seas here soon and i will need to pray for him everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also reminded me that death can be just around the corner. It is really sad when you know the people that die. However, i do respect people that die for their country. People will remember it. Death is a scary thought but everyone will have to face it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it made me think alot about death and how soon it could happen. and it is sad and leaves u speechless when someone or a loved one dies. and it has left me sad and speechless so i understand how you felt and how to act in a situation like that. but at least he died in honor and saved alot of lives before he passed on.

    Brandon Garcia
    6th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a good friend who just went to Iraq and reading your story makes me think about the possiblities of him not making it back. Knowing people in this situation and hearing about how easily death can happen its mind blowing. I have realized that fighting for our country means alot to the citizens, and I would like to experience it..but I have other goals after high school. Other then that your story was very touchy, and very long..but it was worth reading

    Lexy Walls
    6th hr

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I was reading that I was amazed that your aquaintance had passed away. From what you wrote he seemed like a pretty spectacular guy. Why is always that the really great , honest, hard-working people die? It fainly reminded me of the beel ringer form a couple of weeks ago. It was something like, what would you do if you only had one day to live? You had told us that we knew we were goin gto die and in the blog you said you had a pretty good idea that he knew that he was going to die.
    Rebecca* 5th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made me think of death. It makes me value my life even more now that i have read it. It reminds me of my mother and how she died and it was kind of sudden. I'm sorry that that had to happen to your friend and i agree with brandon atleast he died in honor and his life meant something to people.

    Matt Pardi
    5th hour

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that was really long. Death could be just around the corner! It can come in many ways. Like people who die in freak accidents dont know its coming! Also people who are in the military are thought upon greatly one day I hope to be in the Navy! Only if I dont play a college sport! Its really hard on a person when someone close to them dies! But its life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can't imagine losing a friend like that.. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself even if I had nothing to do with it.. I have family in Iraq and reading how it felt to lose somebody special completely astonishes me.. I hope that his family along with everybody close to him is alright..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't know what to do if one of my friends ever passed away after knowing them for so long. I just dont know what its like though cuz it has never happened to me. I would be crying more then likely. death is a cruel thing in some ways. But over all its just saddening

    ReplyDelete
  11. death can definetly always be around the corner. I think thats why everyone should just live their lives to the fullest and make the best of everything, and follow their dreams and do everything they possibly can to make their dreams happen. But if your dream is dying for your country then yes everyone should and will remeber it and you will be honored of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really long blog- but it has real meaning. First off, I`m sorry you had to lose a friend of yours during battle. Everyone will eventually have to experience death one way or another. I agree with Ashley Spencer death can be just around the corner so live for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitley can't imagine losing anyone that is close to me. This reminded me that I need to live life to the fullest and cherish every moment I have with people because they could be gone in a split second. This blog was worth reading and has put a lot of things in perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really sorry that you lost a friend and I am sorry for his wife and family because they have to go through this. But him serving his country was a real danger just sitting at the table waiting to be takin in. They all knew it was risky and so did he. I thought you did a nice job telling everyone how you feel about your friend but at the end i just, i dont know, maybe i have a black heart but I sit there and think about all the innocent lives that are taken by all of America's soldiers. We don't care what happens to them as long as our men come back safe and sound even if they made 15 familys feel the way your friends family is feeling, broken and gone. I wish everyone could get along and nothing would never result in violence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could never imagine losing a friend. Even though I think that one of my friends are going to die in some tragic way all the time.. it really scares me. I wouldn't know what to do if one of them died. My brother lost his best friend in his freshman year of high school in a drunk driving accident. His friend, who had been drinking, had gotten in the car with a drunk driver and my brother got in the car for a second also.. then he realized that the driver was drunk and decided to get out trying to convince his friend to go with him. My brother never forgave himself.. he felt like he should've forced Kale to get out of the car. I hope that I never have to experience such a tragedy especially after watching my brother lie in bed for days at a time and just deterorate emotionally. That just goes to prove that you need to cherish every moment that you have with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well put, Nate. The poem could not have been more fitting for the loss of a good man. I have to admit that I too learned more of him post departum than in life. But I always knew my cuz always had a passion for the military and would be involved in it somehow. I couldn't have been more proud of him in finding out what he had become as a man and a soldier.

    Thanks for blogging the tribute. -- AW

    "Death where is thy victory, Death where is thy sting."

    ReplyDelete
  17. That indeed, was super long. But it has a point. Most of these comments left here, I believe are correct. It makes you think, mostly about how most of us students here arent even living in reality. Just a fantasy world in our heads. The death of someone clears our minds, and makes us all realize that it happens to everyone, and it could happen anytime.

    -Zizi!! (7th)

    'ancatere'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Death is allways just around the corner you never know when someone our yourself could pass. I do strongly belive tho. that if you are in the service and dedicate your life to saveing our country and happen to pass on, i think that our service men and women dont get the credit they deserve i know this because my uncle had is best friend in his gaurd unit pass and he didnt hardly get any credit for what he did over seas and when he did have his funeral the media was too woried about sticking there nose's in to get a story which i didnt think was wright at all

    ReplyDelete
  19. People need to make the most of each day because tomorrow is never given. The circle of life will forever go on. I hate the thought of death, but it is a way of life and will always be happening. Heroes are people you look up to and I believe everyone has the capability to be a hero of someones. Heroes tend to show up the path in which you want to take and I think it is important to have people to look up to and follow.

    ReplyDelete