Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's the Plan?

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

About a month ago, it was time to get my kids into bed for the night, and for whatever reason, I really don't remember why I did it, I told them to settle down in their beds, and I said, "Okay, here is the plan..." I then proceded to detail what they were going to do all the way up until the time I left for work the next morning. They were to snuggle down under their blankets and close their eyes until they fell asleep. Then, they would have sweet dreams and sleep in their own beds all night. In the morning, when they woke up, they were supposed to tip-toe across the hallway and cuddle up with Mom and Dad until it was time to get up and watch cartoons. As I said, I don't know why I came up with this or what I hoped to accomplish with it, but both kids quietly closed their eyes and slept in their own beds all night. The plan worked to perfection!

Much to my suprise, my daughter requested to hear the plan the next night at bedtime. It took me a little while to figure out what my wife was talking about when she came into the living room after going back to tuck the kids in and told me of the request. This routine has now been repeated every night since. After coming to watch one of my baseball games, my daughter insisted that we add a "breakdown" in which we all put our hands in the middle and say "goooooo team!" Not only does my daughter, and to a lesser extent my son, insist that the plan be detailed every night, but if anything does not go according to the plan, she gets very upset and scolds whoever "ruined the plan".

What does this have to do with you? Maybe nothing. Many of you have goals in life that you are very sure and passionate about, and you have gone the additional step of making a plan for yourself to reach that goal. Unfortunately, though, I have an alarming number of students who don't seem to have ever learned to make the connection between what happens next and what they are doing now. I ask students who rarely come to class and pretty much never complete assignments if they want to graduate from high school. With almost no exceptions, I am told that they do want to graduate. Then, when I begin to discuss with them the ways in which they can accomplish this goal, they nod their heads blankly and walk out of my classroom no closer to understanding the importance of making a plan and following through than when we began. Somehow, I accidentally taught my daughter a lesson that no matter how hard I try I cannot purposely teach my students.

I did not sit down to write this blog with a clear plan of where I wanted to end up, which has led to the exact outcome I would have predicted: I am lost, which is exactly what awaits any of you who still has not made the connection between a clear plan and your future.

10 comments:

  1. This blog is actually interesting, and yet very true. People in our school don't care that much about whats going to happen in their future, or they dont realize that they aren't going to be graduating or getting accepted into colleges if they don't get with it really soon. If its not already to late. I have to plan things and do them my way. Like at work i get annoyed if people do the job i do and do it differently drives me nuts. Or if there is a big day like prom then i have to write out each thing i need to do at certain times. I like to know what to do and when to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry made me laugh out loud, as you often do Mr. Ogle! As Nanny 911 says, kids need a schedule and they need to know what is expected. That is not to say they will always act accordingly, but they will know what is coming when they do not follow the plan.

    As students get older, I think the problem is they are expected to know so much more...what are you going to be, where do you want to go to school, military, blah, blah, blah. 18 is awfully young to decide your lifelong dream. So, they tend to purposely divert from the plan in order to take your attention off of their lack of focus and put it on their juvenile behavior. But guess what, they are juveniles!!!

    BTW...is it possible that I send my children over for the Ogle BootCamp? We are not so good at the bedtime routine and the Skelton Ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think knowing what is going to happen is good thing. Even if it dose not always happen that way.Just know that what you think your future is going to be. Really good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely like to have a plan and know what I'm going to do and when I'm going to do it. I agree with Mrs. Skelton when she says kids have a lot of pressure to know a lot of things when we're so young! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really dont think having a plan is the greatest way to go. sometimes the plan never works and you have to do somthing else. so winging it is ok to do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was sean kachmar and Mrs. P is an "idiot"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plans are great, but sometimes are very hard to keep. Multiple things come up like additional homework, other events planned before, or even being sick. Sometimes I just like to relax and whatever comes up, comes up. Plans, I believe, make me stressed because they make someone feel that's what is suppose to happen, but sometimes you find that unexpected things can be the best. :)

    -Nikki McMullen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to always have a plan so I can know what I am going to do and where I am going to be. Sometimes everything works well, but more often than not, my plan ends up totally different than I had predcted.
    nic chittick

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very true i have seen these kids and wonder why would they want to throw away a perfect edaution. They have the power to do what ever they want in life yet they use that agaisnt them. It is very amazing. What one person can do with the life, yet another person who had the high school edaution as them chose to trow it away. Personal in life i want a lot out of it but i know how to get it and i'm going to get it. I'm going to sit back and let some teacher talk and teach me stuff then go and blow it all away at Mcdonalds. One of these days all those kids that wasted there edaution at Mcdonalds are going to wake and think what have i done, and yet some won't even care and they probley never will. Let me ask you this what will people think when you show up for your ten year reunion and your still fliping patties and Mcdonalds. All those kids are still going to think of you what they did back in high school. What a waste of time and, no one should be thought of like but you chose if your going to be thought of like that or not.

    -Kallee Tomes 5th hour english.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this blog is true not a lot of people in this school or the town of paris care about there future or how therre guna live there lives they are so use too getting things just handed to them on a silver plate. but when they get into the real world they dont know what to do they make bad discions like drugs acholl i think i mispelled that but then they go into banckrucpy

    ReplyDelete