Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Up the Down Staircase

I had the pleasure of attending the PCHS Drama Club's production of "Up the Down Staircase" this past weekend. Even though I was involved in Drama Club in high school and whole-heartedly support our wonderful Drama Club, it has never worked out for me to come see one of their productions. While I know that all of the ones I missed were equally fantastic, I am glad I had the opportunity to see this one. Not only did the students do an amazing job, but the message of the play is so relevant for many of the teachers in this building, myself included. We work in a profession full of contradictions and interruptions and expectations that stand in the way of what we really want to be doing, something the play illustrates very well with the endless paperwork and announcements being heaped on the new teacher.

I know that most jobs are like this, but most jobs don't require the level of passion and belief in the cause that it takes to be a good teacher. I think about professions like those in the medical field, firefighters, police officers, and a few others that I am sure I am missing, and I know they are in the same boat as teachers. Ours is a job where if you don't believe in what you are doing, you will never stay afloat. As I said, this isn't true of all professions. Most jobs that I can think of don't require a passion and a belief to do them well. Sure, if you don't like your job, you are going to be pretty miserable, but it isn't an essential ingredient to doing the job.

The play shows how important this belief is in the world of the teacher. Miss Barrett is full of hope and optimism when she awaits the arrival of her students on the first day of the year, but soon she gets bogged down with the realities of paperwork, announcements, shifting schedules, students dropping out, students not doing homework, students seeming to care very little about what she is trying to teach them, and soon she finds herself wondering if what she is doing even matters. I can relate to this. I think most teachers can relate to this. It is difficult to put time and energy into something when you don't get much feedback to show it has even mattered. It always seems to come back to that question, "Does what I do even matter?"

Luckily for Miss Barrett, she has a great mentor point out to her that just because the students aren't jumping up and down to read the Odyssey, doesn't mean that she isn't making a difference for them. She instructs Miss Barrett to listen to what the students are really saying in their comments to her. It is then that Miss Barrett realizes that the measure of a teacher's work, the way we can tell that what we do really matters, is not in the homework or the quizzes or the test scores but in the personal connections we make and the impact that we can have on a young person's life.

I thank the cast and crew of the PCHS Drama Club for putting on this wonderful production. If nothing else, it was a great opportunity for me to be reminded of what is really important about my job.

34 comments:

  1. I also went to see the play this weekend and i agree, it was very good. I found myself laughing throughout the show and i now realize some of the tough things teachers deal with.

    -- Madeline Wilson !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true you do deal with a lot of interuptions.Since being in the play i have noticed that on several occasions the classrooms I am in are just like the play. It is really weird because I have the script memorized and sometimes kids in my class (me included) are acting exactly like some in the play. Deja vu much?

    Stewart Arp

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction- interruptions not interuption
    signed- Rusty O'brien (Stewart Arp)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rusty, is that correction meant for Stewart's response or something in my post? If you have found an error in my post, please let me know. I am currently looking for an editor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't able to go to the play, but it sounded like a good one. Maybe i'll go to the next one(:
    -toni b.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also heard the play was good. I didnt get to see it but, I haerd it was a great play. I heard it had a lot of good messages threw and threwout the play. I really wish I could of seen it because I'm sure I would of enjoyed the message that others heard or saw in the play. Maddie Johnson(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also went to this play. I thought that the cast did a really great job and that Mr. Lynch also did a good job of putting together. I can't wait to go to the Spring Play and see how that one goes too:)
    -Ashlee Sinclair, 2nd hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few weekends ago, I also went to see the play "Up the Down Staircase". I thought this play was very entertaining and "knowledgeable" at the same time. I now know what some teachers have to deal with.

    Aleah Smith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't go to this play, but I heard it was very good. I hate when i am sick and miss the good things it really makes me mad! Oh well I still have the Spring Play coming up and I have always enjoyed those.

    --Brooke Keller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw you at the play. I think you mumbled something like good job as I went to drop off my mic. I'm glad you like it.
    Nique Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is true that a lot of the things that occured in the play are true to real life. Teachers get interrupted and have to try to overcome students and other teachers in order to accomplish their task of teaching.
    Nique Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that I don't want to be a teacher when I get older. I don't think I could put up with being treated the way some teachers are treated. I would yell and probably get fired.
    Nique Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to see that you liked the play. Everyone in each cast did an amazing job! I am glad that Mr. Lynch chose this production because the events that occur in this play, actually could happen in real life. However, I don't believe that the incident with Alice "falling" out of the window would neccesarily happen.
    Andreanna Smith
    2nd hour

    ReplyDelete
  14. This play was freaking awesome to be in. It was my first big part in a play. I was Charlotte Wolfe. The librarian naturally. It was soo much fun which cast did u see?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This play was freaking awesome to be in. It was my first big part in a play. I was Charlotte Wolfe. The librarian naturally. It was soo much fun which cast did u see?

    Kelsey Dougherty

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also see now what high school teachers go though. Though it didn't cause me to lose my dream of a history teacher.

    Kelsey Dougherty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought that the play was really good. I thought i wasnt going to laugh, but i would just be sitting there and then i would realize ohh no im laughing! but it helped me see stuff from a teachers view.
    -Jessica Hopper

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was in the play and I agree with message I thought it was a powerful play that really did describe a lot on how high school is. After the play my mom was surpresed how it really is. I think it's true you as a teacher has it rough to and I think us as students should show more apreciation.
    Mary-Hunter Smittkamp

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mr. Ogle I'm glad you liked our play. I think most teachers go through with this and know if their teaching is helping others or just simply not going through students' minds. I think most of the kids lost the point of the play and didn't get the message. I'm sorry I'm saying this now, but I want the extra credit.! lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey mr ogle this is ashley swanson and i cant figure out what the password is for turnitin. is the number 3765598

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ashley - englishrocks

    Also, email is a more efficient way to communicate. nathan.ogle.PHS@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know you posted this blog a while ago, but i still wanted to comment. I am going to school to be a music teacher, and i believe wholeheartedly that in order to be a good teacher, you have to have passion for whatever it is that you teach. I know that i am going to be a good band director because it is what i enjoy to do so much. Although, being a part of this production scared me a little about when i first start out lol. But i know that it is something i am going to be good at, and i will love every second of it.
    Erika Walden
    6th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is awesome, Erika. Don't lose that passion. The teaching profession needs people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have made very few connections with most of my teachers. The one i made the biggest connection with is probably Mr. Kirby. He has a can do attitude just like me. He never gives up and some day i hope that i can have as much determination as him.--- S. Mason

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not much into plays but if you said its good than I will go the next one.
    -Thrischon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Being a student I can't say I know what it feels like to be in that situation. What I can say is that fully understand your point. Teachers may not feel what they are doing matters, but teachers are one of the most major impactors on kids/teens. If a teacher pushes a child to do better, chances are that child will learn that they have to work hard if they want to succed. Most likely, that child will go on to become a successful individual. All in all, teachers are very important and what they do does matter!

    - Xavier Holt, 6th Hour, English II

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was able to attend the fall production last year and I was very impressed. I was awaiting a corny school play, but I was greeted with good acting and a strong message. It shows a lot about the reality the teachers go through at school not just the students which is important for others to see.
    -Logan McDaniel
    6th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  28. i was only in the crew of this production and you wouldnt believe how much work we had to put into this play. not only was it stressfull but it was also time consuming. i also do agree with madeline that i now realize how tough some teachers have it. i mean some of us can be a real pain in the butt.
    -Lacey Millis
    1st hour

    ReplyDelete
  29. Once again I did not attend this play from the fall. I wanted to but never got the chance to. But from what I have heard it was good and had a good message to it as well. Just from hearing from other students about it the teachers I think are the main ones that have a impact on students lifes after high school. Because they pushed their students throught their high school years to become better in life. Teachers do have a impact on your life even though people don't see it that way.

    Lizzie Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was one of my favorite plays I as Joe Ferone posed as sort of a threat to Miss Barrett, but the show truly does show significant signs of a students life and how much teachers can impact them. The best part is when she finally realizes this.
    Alex Fenza 1st

    ReplyDelete
  31. For motivation I think just having a great attitude will do. When i'm in this class I am motivated and I think that this class is one of the best classes in the high school because it allows you to be creatve.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is the impact that you have on one persons life my mom says that about she does everyday.
    Jk-7th

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved the play Up the Down Staircase. Not a lot of people have the passion to become a teacher, it takes a special person to be a teacher. My mom was a teacher at a behavior school for fifteen years and has now been the principal there for four years. It is an amazing feeling to know that my mom is making an impact on those kids there, and I can really tell that she is really passionate about what she does.
    -Faith Fox, 7th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  34. I did not get to see the play , however, my uncle was in the fall production of up the downstairs case at PHS 30 + years ago... weird how they are doing the same productions three decades later!!

    ReplyDelete