Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not Even For Threeeeee Scooby Snacks?

I've been thinking about motivation lately. I used to think about curriculum and how I could change my class to make it more engaging, and I still do, but now that I have made a lot of changes toward making my class more student-centered and project/product based, I am left with motivation. You see, the amount of students really "getting into it" hasn't really changed even though my class looks drastically different than it did three years ago when I began. I spend very little time lecturing and try to leave all of my assignments open to student exploration and inquiry. I want them to find their own routes of learning. Yet, a majority of my students refuse to answer the challenge. I give them social media projects, and they complain, asking instead for worksheets. I give them the freedom to explore topics of their own choice, and they ask to be spoon-fed information. I'm told that they probably know more about technology than I do, but they need me to stand over their shoulder every time they attach something to an email. It flies in the face of everything I read about reaching these kids, and I can't help but come to the conclusion that it is all simply a matter of motivation.

The problem with motivation is that it is so darn hard to figure out. I looked up the definition on meriamwebster.com, and this is what they have:

1: a : the act or process of motivating
b : the condition of being motivated
2: a motivating force, stimulus, or influence : incentive, drive

Even the dictionary can't define motivation without using the word motivation. By rule, if a word can't be described without using itself, it is a tricky thing. Too often we get caught up in thinking about motivation in terms of external rewards. When my students aren't motivated to work in my class, I talk to them about their chance of graduating. I talk to them about their grades. I talk to them about their future job. I talk to them about a lot of things that are external. Not surprisingly, it never works.

I've come to realize that motivation is so internal that nobody outside of ourselves can see what it looks like for us. Nobody outside of ourselves can unlock it. The best example I can think of from my own life is basic training. I went to basic training simply to qualify for college money. I joined the military not out of some sense of patriotism or duty, but rather for the very selfish reason of cold hard cash- an external motivator. I quickly realized that money will not motivate you to low crawl through a cactus patch. Money will not motivate you to complete a twenty-five mile forced march on about an hour of sleep. I had to find something deeper within myself to accomplish those things. I found that motivation in a blue cord. The blue cord is awarded to soldiers upon completion of infantry school to be worn on the dress uniform. Our company commander in basic training clipped his on the back of his ruck sack and led every road march we went on. I wanted my blue cord. I was going to get that blue cord, but not because I valued it as an object. I wanted it for what it represented. It represented pride in accomplishing something that few people accomplish, something that most people in my life didn't think I could accomplish. I made up my mind early on that I wasn't leaving Fort Benning, Georgia, without that stinking blue cord, and it was a very proud moment in my life when my father was able to pin it to my uniform the day before graduation.

I understand motivation... but only for myself. The challenge we all face as educators is figuring out how to unlock something in others that we hold so deep within ourselves, and even if we find it, how do we know what to do with it? If someone had known how much that cord motivated me, they probably would've just bought me one online. Sometimes I think that is what we are trying to do with our students. We shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't work.

I don't have the answers. I think all I'm hoping to do at this point is get a better idea of the questions.

31 comments:

  1. We need to talk about this. I agree with you, it is so crazy. I think you are on to something big...really big. -Jake Denney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...completely agree. Probably the best put I've every heard this subject approached and definitely bringing some new light to it. I only wish that I'd had a baller for a teacher like you Mr. Ogle ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raytizzle, I feel like I know you somehow. Have we met?

    Jake, it was great talking to you this past weekend. Keep fighting the good fight, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Ogle!

    Long time no blog comments.
    Also long time, no polar pop.
    I fell like talking about stuff like this in person would be cooler because I ramble online.

    But sociology does provide definite answers to a degree.
    In your military experience, you started out extrinsicly motivated, and then became intriscly motivated. Not many people at all are actuallyy intrinsicly motivated. haha..

    Start at the beginning, not the end. That's where you start in candyland.

    o.0////////////////////////

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also true. We live in a society where most of our motivation comes from rewards. We try to get good grades for money, video games, to play sports, etc. and we don't want to learn just because we're curious about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that everyone has the motivation to do things.But we just get cought up in all the stress of life.Yes I know.... no excuses but thing get kind of hard when you have homework in every class ,and work every nite.Your brain gets tired.But sometimes we know things are due ahead of time wich is a pluss.But hey everyone has to go through it I guess.
    Sherrie Shivlar
    6th

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherrie, I agree with you, but i also have to disagree. Everyone has things to do in their lives., whether it be homework, work, or both. We have to find a way to balance these things though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that speaking with each other in person is a lot better idea.. Im not a very talkitive person when it comes to talkin bout stuff for school... but the more you talk to us... the more i realize what is going on and i have a better time tryin to participate.. Thats whats up Mr. Ogle


    MICHAEL MORESCHI

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes everyone has motivation yet some dont know how to dig down deep to find it. Or in some cases, they have been through hardships which prevent them from using any motivation at all. Everyone is different on how they produce their motivation. You will just have to find something that works for everyone or use different methods for each person. a difficult task indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ; I really like this, I agree with what your thinking of doing. I think something big is coming and I am really excited to see what new things we do in your class :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Ogle!
    I also agree with what you are saying here, the lack of motivation in our high school is pretty much rediculous. I think that actually, this year, with the whole Pumpkin Palooza, your motivation thoughts have come to play out well!
    Andreanna Smith
    5th hour

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree with what your saying. I think that the students who do better in school are usually in something extacurricular. And it is, because of this exta carricular group/sport that they do well in school (they want to stay eligible).

    Xavier Holt, 6th Hour, English II

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything you said has a good point. Highschool students lose interest in school because they feel like there are no rewards, no driving force to doing well in school. Except for those who are in extracurricular activities becuase they know they have to do well to stay eligible.
    -Chandler Milbourn 1st Hour

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything on here I completely agree with. We really do loose interest because there is nothing that we feel is worth it, like no rewards or anything making us want to do well. Good grades, aren't enough apereantly...
    -Maddie Johnson, creative writing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everything that you say. It's just, something things are more motivating than others. Depending on how you feel about something is how much effort you put in to get it. A lot of kids think that school is boring and pointless, and most kids make the high grades for their extracurricular activities. Other than that, they just don't care. I feel like motivation is more of a mind set; You have to make yourself want it, to get the motivation for it.

    Kelsey Keller; 3rd hour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with this. Something that motivates me is my future. In school, I try my hardest to do well in school because of the future that awaits for me. Most teens don't realize that to get things done, they need motivation. Everything involves this. How do I do my homework? Motivation. I am motivated to get that good grade. Some people just don't care and don't realize what lies ahead of them. I wake up in the morning with motivation. How can people live without it? It is what makes you the person you are. Some people have more motivation than others, and you can tell by the kind of person they are.
    -- Cassie Kemper; 3rd hour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone has different things that motivate them. Whether its, a sport, a club, video games etc... but the school doesn't focus on anything like that. They only focus on school work. If students were engaged with something that interested them i think they would be more motivated to do well in school.

    Kylie Knight ---- Applied Comp --- 7th hour

    ReplyDelete
  18. - I think that it's not always motivation that matters. Sometimes i have the motivation, but i don't always understand what it really is i should be doing, or i don't understand part of the project, so i wait till last minute, or just completely do it wrong and get a bad grade. I sometimes need to see a play by play example for a project to help me get a better understanding of how it should look like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most kids don't understand that everything in life that matters is going to take some type of motivation. If you were to ask a kid they would say that school doesn't really matter to them because it isn't going to effect their future. If a kid was learning about things that interested them during school they might want to learn more but until then they are just going to slack off and do what they want how they want. Kids do not realize that school is helping prepare them for their life outside of school by setting goals and deadlines for things to be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's not always motivation that helps you get things done. I am motivated to do alot of things. But when it comes down to it i hardly ever get them done, because i either just forget about it or never have time to get around to it because i am occupied doing something else.

    Dakota Simpson 6th hour

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you fully, there should be more motivation within the student body. But sometimes there are reasons for no motivation, and most of the time its probably "problems at home". Which we all know you should never really ask about. But as far as everybody else, there should be more motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree that children these days aren't motivated. Like my (wise is used loosely) grandfather quite often says, " When I was a kid I think they [parents/teachers] would beat motivation into me!" Now he is relating to being lazy and not getting out of bed, but now a days I don't think kids even care. My whole life my mom has expected me to get up and do something with my life. If that means getting outside and rolling in the grass or doing extra credit, I was always involved and doing something. I think the lack in motivation comes from the parents. If the parents don't care... why should the kids? You can always tell when parents get on their children about school, sports, ect. because if they don't do good you can see the fear in their eyes. I hope you keep finding ways to get kids motivated! Good luck!
    Sincerely,
    Meredith Rhoads

    ReplyDelete
  23. Motivation is something that is learned. It seems to me that you might want to look for all the blue chords that motivate that individual.
    Jk-7th hr

    ReplyDelete
  24. I believe it is incentive vs punishment, the question of will a person holdfast to the reward of of outcome or stray away due to the fear of the wip. The question of will the cattle move faster toward grass pasture or away from the sharp prod will aloude to the the real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  25. motivation changed people it makes them better and makes them feel like they are special makes them feel like they can accomplish anything and make it in life so the answer is everyone needs to have more motivation to go far in life



    sincerly, shalyn phillips

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everyone is motivated in different ways. Some people are motivated in sports because they loving playing sports. Some are motivated in school because they want to get good grades so they can get a good job.

    Jeff Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel like everyone has something that motivates them to do well. As a teacher I'm sure it's a very hard job to find something that motivates more than just one or two students. The kids that are motivated are probably only motivated because their parents care about what their grades are, or they are in extracurricular activities and have to keep their grades up.

    Mallory Henn - 2nd Hour

    ReplyDelete
  28. Motivation for some people is easier to have if there is an end reward. For example, in a sport, if you succeed your end reward is a win against the rival. In a job, if you put forth all of your effort the end reward is a nice paycheck. Motivation is easier to come by when someone gets something good out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think being a teacher would be sort of complicated, having to find things for every student to do daily in the class room. BUT if I was a teacher I think that I would probably not care whether or not the students liked it, and I would definitely pick more challenging things to do in the room. But yes when students have to work harder, they need more motivation to keep going or else they will want to give up, and I've definitely been there before

    ReplyDelete
  30. I feel that an extracurricular that someone really loves is all they need for that little bit of motivation. I know for a fact that whenever I am told that without good grades I cant hunt, or show pigs I go ballistic and work as hard as I can to get back on track. Kids these days aren't involved and just sit on their butts and play games and I think that is where a lot of laziness comes from such as lack of motivation and drive to accomplish things. If more kids had an active activity to look forward to everyday I think they would be on track. -Logan Cash 5th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  31. I recently have been motivated. After the end of first quarter I thought I could get by and get good grades with as little effort as possible. That was until I actually looked at my grades half way though the quarter. That was just enough time to work hard and get them to a decent grade. If I wouldn't have then I was guaranteed to fail. Now I do my best to achieve success.

    ReplyDelete