Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What Should Learning Look Like?

One thing I've noticed since becoming a teacher is that just about everywhere I look, I see things that make me think about how I teach, my students, or education in general. Sometimes these flickers of thought are inspired by the kinds of things you would expect- an article about education, an advertisement on the radio about increasing graduation rates, etc.- but sometimes, the spark comes from an unexpected place. I had this kind of experience yesterday. I was at my brother's house, and he put the movie Dolphin Tale in for our kids to watch. I had heard of the movie, and it is currently on my waiting list with Netflix, but I figured it was a movie my kids would enjoy, but that I would find fairly boring. I was wrong.

Dolphin Tale - 11 x 17 Movie Poster - Style A
photo courtesy of www.moviepostershop.com

While the movie has a very heartwarming message about helping others and the power of hope, that is not what made the movie worthwhile for me. The thing that caught my attention is the role education played in the film. Here's the rundown:

The main character, Sawyer, is a very introverted kid. He doesn't have many, if any, friends, and we learn that he fails pretty much every subject in school. As teachers, we all know kids like Sawyer. For Sawyer, school just doesn't seem to click for him. This is not to say that he isn't intelligent. Early in the movie, we find that he has his own little workshop in the garage where he repairs the remote-controlled helicopters he likes to fly as a hobby, as skill many of us would probably have a difficult time mastering. As the movie unfolds, it is revealed that Sawyer must attend summer school to get credit for the classes he failed. It is while he is on his way to summer school that things begin to happen. Sawyer is riding along the beach when a fisherman yells at him for help. A dolphin has washed up on shore and is caught in the rope from a crab box. Sawyer stays with the dolphin until a marine life rescue unit can come take the dolphin away, during which time he cuts the rope and apparently forms a bond with the animal.

After school, Sawyer goes to check on the dolphin and ends up making friends with the people at the marine hospital. Long story short (too late, I know), Sawyer ends up skipping school (where he was learning about prepositions in a way that makes me, an English teacher who does still teach grammar, want to run out screaming) to spend time working with the dolphin on her recovery. While there, he begins learning about the biology of all of the animals in the center and how to care for them. As an audience, we don't even realize he is learning because it just looks like a kid enjoying what he is doing and the people he is doing it with, but when he bring his mother to center, and she sees her chronic F student giving her an expert tour of the facility and interacting with everyone there instead of quietly sitting in the corner, she realizes what we need to realize as educators- learning is more genuine and more real when it applies to real things. She lobbies the summer school teacher to excuse Sawyer from the rest of the class so he can continue his work at the center, offering to have him write a report to receive credit for the course. The teacher, dumbly in my opinion, refuses. Sawyer continues his work and writes the report anyway. In the end, after seeing how much Sawyer accomplished when he wasn't chained to a desk, the teacher, wisely in my opinion, decides to give Sawyer credit.

The message here- We, as educators, need to be paying attention to our students to see if we have any Sawyers in our midst. I, for one, have made an real effort to start including more project-based learning into my classroom, and I began a project with one of my senior-level classes last year, which I am continuing this year, that requires them to work with a mentor in the community to learn more about their intended career and work with that person to create a project/product that gives them real-world experience in that field, but that isn't enough. I need to open my eyes and ears to find out if there are any kids in my classes that are doing amazing things on their own and figure out a way to tap that enthusiasm and let them bring it to my classroom. So, to any students who may be reading this (for extra credit, which just makes the whole thing feel tainted), do you have a passion for some kind of learning that you aren't getting in school? Are you like Sawyer in any way? To any teachers who may be reading this, do you have any success stories of helping a kid like Sawyer by plugging into their passion, even when it didn't fit your curriculum? Do you have any stories of missed opportunities to do this? How can use what happened in this movie as an inspiration to allow our students the freedom to really learn while still meeting all of our accountability requirements? The challenge is large, but all of the really worthwhile in challenges in life generally are. I look forward to hearing from you.

28 comments:

  1. Personally, when I first saw that movie I had to watch it again. I felt like it was a touching movie and meant something unlike some other movies. I also like how you are making changes in your teaching, everyone needs a little change. :)
    -- Davida Holderman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Am One Who Cannot Just Sit And Read And Article, Book, Or Some Other Way People Like To Obtain Knoledge, And Actually Remember What I Have Read. I Have Found That In Order For Me To Able To Learn From Anyhting It Ususally Has To Be From An Experience, Interesting Discussion, Or Visuial Demonstration.
    I Love The Fact That You Are Trying To Incorporate More Project Based Learning Into Your Curriculum, and I Personally Believe Schools Should Encourage Project Learning More. I Find It An Excellent Way To Learn, And I Also Believe It Helps You Remember More Because You Have An Exsperience To Look Back On To Remember The Matieral.

    ;Abby Coates xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to write lyrics. I would like to work with a mentor who is a country song writer. I have written a lot of lyrics but I would like to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unlike other people i get more information and understand subjects better with a hands on project other than a writing project. Ang I loved that movie it was so cute and touching. And i agree that teachers need to start watching for the sawyers in the class.
    -- chelsea witmer hr3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to in a way agree with you. It seems like there are more students that not that learn lots better with hands on projects instead of reading and learning it that way. Me for instance, am in an Archetectual Drafting class where instead of haveing to read out of a book about how things are designed and other things like that, we are acually creating out oun house designs and we as a class are makeing a commuinity to where out houses with out properties are going onto one area. Also, i am in Constrution 2 and i find it to be much better to be building a house which i think is almost as hands on as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Creative writing class is like that for me. I have always wanted to know how to write papers that aren't formall in writing, and since I took your class, I now know how to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to say, I fell in love with that movie. I've seen it many times.
    And, I do agree with the other people. I can read and get the message and sometimes, if it's interesting enough, I can remember. For the most part, school articles/books are boring. I like how some teachers connect the things we learn to things that us teenagers know very well. I do love project based learning though, I find it fun to work and interact with some people. It's easier to remember to.

    Kelsey Keller; 3rd hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a way of learning and actually remembering something is if the class does more things where we can interact with each other. Classroom discussions, for example, are a good way to communicate with each other, and we actually understand what is happening. I think research and things are a little boring. If we actually got out and did something, us students would be more interested in subjects. Things such as field trips are a good way to learn things too, because it is actually interesting and most people want to learn in a fun way, like museums. They come up with fun ways to learn, and im sure you can too!
    -- Cassie Kemper ; 3rd hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only remember or want to learn something if I am interested in that subject. Everyone is different though. For instance, the books we get at school to read.. are of course boring, but If i was to pick a book out of the library, I would read it because I know what types of books I like, and I know what would get me interested in reading. Some teachers are boring and do not do anything fun or exciting, which makes that class period go by really slow, and we all know that when students get bored, we tend to fall asleep in class. I feel if some teachers were to make the classroom an exciting place, more students would want to learn, and actually remember what was being said.

    Kylie Knight ---- Applied Comp --- 7th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly enjoy school most days. The majority of my classes are some what intriguing to my mind and my thoughts. There's always something that pertains to every class that keeps me coming back for more. Also, the thought that I only have four classes a day is just superb, then i get to go home and nap and in my opinion nothings better than a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. - I never saw myself watching this movie, but i was stuck on a plane, and i was extremely bored, so watching it was my only hope to save extreme restlessness. It actually happened to be a good movie, i even cried during the sad/happy parts. I did learn some good facts, and it had a good life lesson for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen the movie and honestly i had the same perspective about it as you did before you watched it. I learn better with hands-on type of things if you make me sit down and just read a book im not going to get anything out of it and from how you described the movie it shows this very well.

    Brittany Swanson :) 1st hour

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ihave never watched this movie before but i did kind of had the the same perspective on what it was like until i watched it. Sometimes i am better at watching the movie first and then see of the book is the same. But watching the movie helps me and shows what is actually happening and instead of picturing it i can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can hontesly i have never seen this movie before but i have heard of it. I like to read books before i watch the movies to see if there is a difference between them. Theres one movie i saw kinda like this its called SoulSufer and its based on a true story about this girl losing her arm after a shark attack. She has trouble trying to figure out if she wants to contiune surfing or not. She has her family and friends by her to help her out through this jounrey.
    Lizzie Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never imagined myself to ever even think about watching this movie. After watching this movie I actually enjoyed it. I feel like it had many life lessons to learn from.

    Logan Farnham - 7th

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really never been the type of person who likes to just watch a lot of movies. I can honestly say that I am the type of person who has to do something to be able to learn how to do it. I hate having to read and learn about things that do not interest me at all. If at school we got to choose what we were going to study about I would enjoy learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In most way's Mr. Ogle, i'd have to agree in saying that i'm like Sawyer. I pass classes, but that's it, no A's... Unless it's in a hands on class. If something is hands on, i'll pick up on it, or learn faster then I ever would by reading it in a book or doing homework over it. That's why i try to pick my classes wisely, an that's also been a big factor on what i've been using for trying to decide a good career to go to school for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have seen this movie several times, my perspective of it was the same as yours before the first time i watched it. but after watching it i wanted to watch it more and more, because sawyer and i can relate to eachother very well. School is definetly not my thing, that is why after high schhol and am going into a trade and not going to college because i am a terrible learner when someone trys to teach my something. I have to teach myself to realy understand how to do it.

    Dakota Simpson 6th hour

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never seen this movie. But from what you say it sounds like a good movie and i will have to sit down and watch it sometime.

    Tony Harris 7th hour

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I can relate to what you say. I have never seen this movie but I have seen movies that are very similiar to this. Approaching students in more of a project based way would be more helpful to students moral upbringing more than just sitting them down and teaching them a lesson.
    Alex Fenza 1st Hour

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm not certain what learning should look like but i beleive that you will be able to tell if a student or someone is learning but there grades on simple papers.

    ronnie brown

    ReplyDelete
  22. Learning should look like students actually know what is being taught. They should be able to define what they are learning with no problem. I think that is what learning looks like.
    -Erin Marietta 2nd hour

    ReplyDelete
  23. I watched that movie! It was very heartfelt and it also had a great message to kids. I like little kid movies and that one was great! Who doesn't love dolphins!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that we should be able to do what Sawyer did. I mean for example when would we ever be using slope in real life unless we are like a math teacher. I would love if we got to learn a job that interests us and real work situations rather than some of the stuff that we have learned in school.

    Danny Allanson 1st

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the movie the dolphin tale it was so good it made me laugh and cry i thought it would be stupid but it wasent it was actually really good and heart warming it was actually the best kid movie i have seen in along time


    sincerly, shalyn phillips

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've learned from watching others around me, that peple learn in differewnt ways. There are many people who just can not grasp the learning process of school, and school might not be for them. I belive that we all have a special talent or skill that makes us important in this world. Education is one of the most important things we can have, but for some people they may not need it, or may not even be able to get it. this doesnt mean that they are worthlessin our society though. They may have certain abilities that others dont. Everyone has there own way of learning and achieving thngs and its our job to understand that. everyone is different and thats what makes us such a diverse society.
    -Taylor Donovan 7th hour

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dolphin Tale is one of my favorite movies. It's the type that I can watch over and over again and not get bored. In a way, I earn like Sawyer. I learn better a hands-on, but i'm also more of a visual learner. Some teachers feel like putting notes on the bored will help us learn better. I can learn that way, it's just a struggle and I found it terribly boring. Hopefully some teachers will find new creative ways to teach their class :)
    -Sam Moore 7th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  28. I, myself have never watched this movie but I think that I should. I have had lots of expiernce with children these last two years with taking the child day care class and now I do voulnteer work everyday at a preschool. I learned that not every child learns the same way and I like to listen to what the children have to say so I can see it from their perspective. I never thought that I would want to be a teacher of some sort honestly I wanted to be a nurse but after taking that class and doing this voulnteer work I have fallen in love with helping children and knowing that I have impacted their life in some way.
    Jessica Jones

    ReplyDelete